Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Primary Weapon Systems Triad

via Gun Nuts Media by Shelley Rae on 3/14/12

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put some lead down range with the guys at Weapon Outfitters. In the process we ran a semi-scientific (see: not scientific at all) comparison of the PWS Triad, a flash suppressor I’ve been meaning to review for a while now, and the AAC Blackout. The interesting thing about this comparison is that the two aren’t necessarily directly comparable. While both products are labelled “Flash Suppressor” the Triad is designed to be both a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake. The device does a good job being a little bit of both, it may not excel at either but it hits an excellent median that makes a rifle pleasant to shoot both for noise and for recoil.

Comparing the PWS Triad to the AAC Blackout. Photo by Weapon Outfitters.

Since I shoot rifles indoors most often it made sense to opt for a flash suppressor over a loud and flashly brake, just to save my hearing. While the AAC Blackout was great for that purpose, it did very little for recoil reduction. That’s where the Triad comes in. While the Triad reduced the noise and flash enough that I didn’t feel like I was shooting a SureFire or JP Enterprises brake, it also did an excellent job controlling felt recoil. In fact, doing three round splits I saw a significant increase in my split times switching between the upper with the Blackout and the upper with the Triad.

Because the Triad redirects the gas system, eliminating most felt recoil, and leaving only mechanical recoil. The interesting thing about this is because of the way I hold the rifle (I’m so dominate with my right hand that my left hand isn’t sure it exists) the mechanical recoil of the rifle sent it up and to the right. It wasn’t a bad thing, by any means, but it took a couple rounds to adjust to. The reduction in recoil from the AAC Blackout was definitely noticeable, and the rifle was significantly easier to control with Triad.

Every muzzle device has its purpose, and the Triad fulfills it’s own marvelously. It does an excellent job eliminating recoil without the awful noise you get from many muzzle brakes, it’s a great median between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake and if you’re looking to reduce recoil and still save you’re hearing it’s what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment