Sunday, July 31, 2011

How powerful is the M-16's .223 caliber round?

What type of damage is done when the bullet impacts flesh? Back in 1978, I went small game hunting with my Colt AT-15 using Target loaded rounds (with 55 grain Spitzer point bullet). A Target load has just enough powder to work the automatic action and has a muzzle velocity of around 2,300 feet per second. A normal factory round has a muzzle velocity of 3,300 feet per second.

Attached are pictures of a squirrel skin from a squirrel I shot. The small pencil size hole is the entry point. The big hole is were the bullet exited. The exit hole has a bigger diameter than a beer or soda pop can. I did have a picture of the skin with a beer can in the hole, but I don't know where it is.

This damage is from a small 22 caliber size bullet.

No comments:

Post a Comment