Sunday, March 25, 2012

If I Could Make One Change to Evernote for iPad

via iPad Insight by Patrick Jordan on 3/23/12

Evernote for iPad

Evernote is a superb app / service. I use it very heavily on my Mac and regularly on the iPad and iPhone. It has been promoted as a sort of ‘second brain’ where everything can be stored (text notes, images, audio notes etc) and found easily when needed.

I use the app along those lines – it’s a great place to store information and it’s available just about everywhere – Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, in a browser etc. The iOS apps are frequently updated and continually adding good new features and connections to other apps. It has even started to improve recently in its one weakest area – the editing interface on the iPad and iPhone.

But …

There’s still one ‘feature’ of the app that I find hugely annoying. When you tap to open an individual note you cannot just tap in the text area and begin typing. You first have to tap on the pencil icon on the app’s bottom bar. This just strikes me as a pointless waste of time. If I tap to select a note it should be completely obvious that I want to edit it – select text, add new text to it. Yes, it’s only a single extra tap but if you use the app often this becomes a big nuisance, and I just don’t see the point of it at all. Every other notes and writing app I’ve ever used on the iPad lets you tap directly in the writing area and get going right away.

It just feels dumb to have this needless extra tap and an inability to jump straight into a note like you can in every other app of this kind.

I’m sure we have some Evernote users here. What do you think on this? Would you like to see this changed in a future update?


© patrickj for iPad Insight, 2012. | Permalink | 9 comments | Add to del.icio.us
Post tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment