Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bianchi Cup practice

via Gun Nuts Media by Caleb on 5/15/12

With Bianchi Cup right around the corner, I’ve finally had the time to get some serious range sessions in with the EAA Witness Elite Stock II that I’ll be shooting. The gun has been performing incredibly well, and I remain impressed with the accuracy. Yesterday when practicing for the plate rack stages I shot a 440 and a 420, and if I wasn’t still struggling with the DA trigger I could have easily upped that to a 460. Right now, the shots I’m dropping are the first DA shots out of the holster because I’m not really acclimated to the DA trigger yet.

With another range session scheduled today, it’s going to be all about accuracy work and the DA trigger. I’m not worried about the DA/SA transition, because honestly it’s just not a big deal. For years, people said that “the DA/SA transition is hard” or that it made shooting more difficult. It doesn’t. What makes shooting more difficult is shooting 3.5 pound Glock triggers for a year and then switching to a gun that has a 10 pound first trigger pull. That’s what dry fire and persistent practice are for, and thanks to Winchester, Lucky Gunner, and Atlanta Arms I’ve got plenty of ammo to pull that off with. I’ve actually detailed out the range plan until the match itself gets underway.

  • May 15th: 2-3 hours live fire, focus on accuracy and DA trigger management. Drills include Dot Torture at decreasing distances, simulated runs on the Barricade.
  • May 16th: 30 minutes dry fire, DA trigger management. Physical training.
  • May 17th: 2 hours live fire, simulated runs on The Practical (minus the 50 yard stage)
  • May 18th: 30 minutes dry fire, DA trigger management.  PT
  • May 19th: Rest

May 20th, Sunday I hit the road for the Cup, which gives me Monday and Tuesday at the practice range to fine tune any weird issues I may have.  The goal with the practice range is usually to get as much time in on the mover as possible, since it’s the only event I don’t have access to at my home ranges.  I’ll also work on going prone at 50 yards, which is something I’ve never done before at the Cup.  I fire my first rounds at 12:38 Wednesday afternoon, my first event is going to be the Mover in Metallic division, followed the same day by the Barricades in Production.  Thursday is the Practical and Mover in Production, and the Barricades in Metallic.  Friday has me shooting the Falling plates back to back in Production then Metallic, and closing my match out on the Practical in Metallic.  And somewhere in all of that, I’ll also be taking pictures and covering the match.

It’s going to be a busy, but awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment