Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Y-Man Needs Help With New Slug Design

via The Firearm Blog by Steve (The Firearm Blog) on 8/22/12

Y-Man, TFB's favorite Nigerian shotgunner, needs some help with measurements for his new slug design. Read about Y-Man's previous adventures here.

Y-Man says ...

I have been a bit slow with my shotgun stuff recently, but have been doing a lot of research. I now have a slug that has VERY good promise now, I got a very good mould fabricated and am using the idea behind the Federal Truball Slug design ...

Federal Premium Tactical TruBall Shell

My own (new) version of the Truball Slug

My slug with ball, wadding and shell

It WORKS! I am getting good groups out to 45 yards too! But unfortunately, have not been able to do much testing. I did do some testing in April, and while the groups were good, my improvised shotgun sights were crap, and led to me shooting about a foot low at 45yards. (I was shooting quite rapidly though, did not really take careful aim (Once I saw that my sights were hopeless. I have gone back to a simple barrel-aligned sight now.)

Please do me a favour: if you have any factory produced Foster-type slugs lying around (Like the Lee slugs) could you help do a measurement so I know if my measurements are ok?

What are the REAL dimensions of the factory-made Foster-Type slug? (I have been working blind all these years: I should have used some sort of reference measurement...)

No comments:

Post a Comment