Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Appendix Carry: One size does not fit all

via Gun Nuts Media by Caleb on 7/13/12

A while back, Shelley reviewed the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim II holster for a Kahr PM9, and she liked it quite a bit. I’ve been carrying a PM9 for about a week now in the same holster, which has revealed why holster selection for appendix carry is so important. From Shelley’s review:

I really love this little holster, there’s nothing bulky about it, there’s nothing big about it, it’s a quality product and it looks good.

From my review: “Ow s*** this stupid holster keeps stabbing me in my thigh, ow ow ow ow.” To clarify, take a look at the picture. Do you see the little duckbill at the bottom of the holster? That’s the bottom of the belt clip, and you’ll notice that it protrudes past the bottom edge of the holster. I’m sure that isn’t a problem for some people, but when you’re build like a fire hydrant, that little duckbill decides it wants to stab me in the inside part of my upper thigh every time I sit down. Now imagine you’re getting in and out of a low to the ground muscle car all day, and you can imagine why I’m so happy to ditch the holster when I get home.

The holster is very comfortable for short periods, and I like everything else about it. It does hold the gun well, it’s quiet, it doesn’t print, but good lord is it ever uncomfortable. But, this is why I do tell people to try wearing a holster for 8 hours before they decide on it as the “perfect” EDC holster. Some holsters feel great for 20 minutes, some feel great for 2 hours, and some feel great to wear all day. Unfortunately for me, the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder doesn’t work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment