Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Practice pays off

via Gun Nuts Media by Caleb on 2/28/12

I drill my reloads pretty consistently; for whatever reason I’ve always enjoyed working on getting the gun back into action when it’s out of bullets. This promo video we shot for Lone Wolf actually has a good example of a smoking reload in it from a couple of angles.

I actually got the second mag up to the gun quick enough that I hit the falling mag and bounce it off in a weird direction. To be honest, I probably practice reloads more than I need to, but at the Indoor Nationals I was very glad that I did. I had to reload in the dark. Not in low light or limited light, but just the dark. I couldn’t see the gun or the magazine or anything, but both of the reloads I had to do in no light I nailed just fine.

The point is that practice really does pay off. I’ve done hundreds of reloads in practice over the past couple of months. If there’s a particular match skill that you’re struggling with, drill it. Don’t overtrain, but drill it hard until you reach a level of automatic proficiency with it. I’ve actually over-trained my reloads at this point, and need to reduce the number of reps I do with those in favor of working on my draw for a little bit. Because reloads were my major weakness, and now they’re not…so it’s time to drill something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment