Monday, June 25, 2012

5.56 vs. .223 chamber pressure

via Gun Nuts Media by Caleb on 6/22/12

Having trouble putting the kids to bed? Then go read them this article from the new Lucky Gunner blog about the difference between 5.56 and .223 chamber pressure. I’m kidding about it putting your kids to sleep, of course – but it’s definitely not a fluff piece. It’s a very serious, technical look at 5.56 vs. .223, which if you’re the gun equivalent of James May you’ll probably love.

However, if you’re more the Jeremy Clarkson or Richard Hammond type, then here’s a sweet full auto mag dump from a Daniel Defense AR15. Also, if you didn’t get any of those references, go to Netflix, and start watching Top Gear. If you don’t, you are a very bad person. But, that does allow me to neatly segue to my actual point – we are all like the Top Gear presenters in some way. For those that don’t watch, I’ll explain:

  • Jeremy Clarkson: Likes to zoom around the track shouting “POWER” in various super cars, isn’t necessarily interested in the technical details of what makes a car so good but rather in how good it is. “Good” for Clarkson is a very subjective thing as well, as he’ll frequently prefer the car that is technically worse on paper because it’s more fun.
  • James May: Really enjoys the technical details of cars. To a degree which I find rather boring. His on-screen nickname is Captain Slow.
  • Richard Hammond: In terms of technical detail and…Clarkson-ness, he’s the happy middle ground between May and Clarkson. Not quite as ridiculous as Jeremy and not as technically interested as May.

But seriously, you should watch the show because it’s fantastic. I believe that Top Gear is the last hope for Britain, because it’s the only bit of English TV I can find that says bad things about the government. Anyway, back to guns. The point is that there are all kinds of gun enthusiasts. I know people who can and will spend actual hours talking about the merits of a carbine length gas system vs. a mid-length gas system vs. rifle length gas system; or competition shooters that will spend forever going back and forth about the ideal spring rate. Then there are folks like me that are just like “give me some bullets and I’ll go shoot the damn thing” and prefer to spend their time on the range pulling triggers. Then there are the happy medium people that balance the technical interest with the trigger pulling. I’m sure that there are plenty of other balances and personality types out there, but I was just struck by the parallel while watching Top Gear last night, and the blog post from Lucky Gunner presented me with an excellent opportunity to talk about it.

If you’re the James May type and are interested in that kind of awesome technical detail, I’d suggest keeping an eye on Lucky Gunner Labs. It’s off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment